I have had a lot of conversations lately with people that are still talking about how bad 2020 was. I usually will listen, nod my head, smile and then try to change the subject to some of the positive things that came from 2020. I am not blind to the fact that many people lost loved ones, lost jobs, lost homes and lost a fair amount of human contact. I am also aware that there are many people that did extremely well in 2020. I personally know people that enjoyed spending more time with loved ones and learning new skills. I know successful professionals that travel the globe for work and were frustrated with not spending enough time with their children who are now able to stay at home, spend time with their kids and still have a wonderful career. One of my clients owns a janitorial business and last year he quadrupled his income because of the need for sanitation services. I chose to acknowledge the challenges of 2020 however I focus on the positives that came from 2020. Life is good if we are willing to do the work to make it good. Thus I ask…What are you doing to make 2021 your best year ever.
I have joined online groups to connect with interesting success minded individuals. I have intentionally focused on spending more time with loved ones. I am continually decluttering my home, business and life. There are so many great ways that I can improve my businesses and grow my bottom line. Currently I am also focused on becoming healthier. You are welcome to follow my weight loss journey on my YouTube Channel Doni Jones Live: https://youtube.com/channel/UCkHA8gByz9wfFO62SMaFOqA
There are so many great things happening right now and I am watching people focusing on the past instead of making today great. Yes, I know it is hard sometimes but at some point we have to let go of yesterday and focus on today. Some might say “well Doni you don’t understand.” Yes I do understand. I lost my brother last year. I had to face the reality that there were people that I truly trusted and they were not trustworthy. I showed up at a client’s house and was ready to have a conversation with one of my favorite people only to find out she had died two days prior to our appointment. I could go on and on but I will not because the focus of this post is to encourage people to embrace 2021 and make it a great year. Actually let’s make the rest of our life the best it can be. How can you do that you may ask? I am so glad you asked. Here are a 5 things you can do to start changing things right now:
- Let go of toxic people. If it is a friend then you can stop taking their calls, don’t call them and delete social media contact with them. If it is a family member that you don’t live with you can do the same. If it is a partner, husband or wife you can have a talk and discuss ways to improve the relationship and if they refuse to do so then you may have to make the choice to end the relationship. (Yes, that is hard but staying in a toxic relationship is harder).
- Make a list of everything you are not happy with and then make a real plan to change the situation. For example my finances were out of order so I made a choice to get a bookkeeper. I don’t like cleaning the house but I love having a clean house so I have a house keeper. By the way it is not that expensive to get someone to clean your house plus it frees up your time so that you can focus on the things that are important to you.
- Exercise!! You have to move your body every day even if it is just for 30 minutes. I made a commitment to myself to move for at least 30 minutes a day every day. Exercise also helps me think clearer and feel better. I am on a weight loss journey however even after I reach my optimal fitness level I will still continue to exercise because it just feels good. Exercise can be walking, dancing, yoga, weights, cardio machines or whatever makes you feel good and that you will actually do.
- Read or listen to audio books about success, mindset, health and fitness. Anything you are dealing with or need to change…a solution can be found in a book. That is the truth. Leaders are readers. You may not want to be a leader but you, by default, are the leader of your life. Here are a few books to start with: The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace Wattles, The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy, Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, anything by Brene Brown is amazing, The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins and my book From Failure to Fabulous. This is just a start but there are millions of books out there that can help you achieve your goals. Most of the books I suggest are about mindset, entrepreneurship, overcoming adversity or building wealth because those are my interests. Find books that pertain to what your issues are and actually read or listen to them. Books do not serve you if you don’t use them.
- Develop a spiritual practice. That does not mean going to church…many times it means leaving church😀 Developing a spiritual practice can mean meditation, prayer, yoga, getting a massage, going to a therapist, going to a church/synagogue/temple, listening to calming music, sex with your partner or taking a walk in nature. I believe in God (if you don’t like that word you can replace it with higher power or energy), it doesn’t matter what you call it but there is a beautiful place that goes beyond the head and speaks to the heart. We all know that we can do better and be better. Most people just want to feel better. There is usually a feeling that something is not quite right or there might be a sense of uneasiness. Whatever “it” is…it is our job to connect with the divine in our own way and find peace and peace of mind. There really is an easier way to go through life(you are not crazy😀) Of course we all have challenges but when we develop a spiritual practice it gets easier to settle down. Sometimes we need to be still, focus, make a plan and then take the necessary steps to move forward in making our life look and feel the way we dreamed. We can take all the right steps and read all the right books and achieve our dreams but if we do not have inner peace we will not be happy. I take time daily to find or create joy and happiness and that starts with gratitude. Gratitude really is the secret sauce. I truly do believe that being grateful is a spiritual practice. I find gratitude in the smallest things and that opens the door for more beautiful things to come into my life. Gratitude is everything and I am grateful you took the time to read this and connect with me.